Considering the fact that the logistics industry is one of the fastest-growing as well as the largest industries that bears the weight of almost 90% of transportation and trade around the world – it is hard to imagine the bulk of import and export that happens across the globe without it. Much like other businesses that face challenges as they grow, the logistics industry is not untouched by it.
Dealing with myriad functions and costs such as labour cost, fuel cost, follow-up with clients regarding payments, maintenance cost, import-export duties, asset tracking, stock records maintenance, etc. needs the implementation of logistics ERP software for business, that can help in the optimisation of all the operations, can enhance the productivity all the while promoting growth.
An ERP for Logistics Industry helps in linking various applications which can then facilitate information flow thus making it an extremely important tool for logistics. To this end, let us take a look at some of the benefits that implementing ERP systems in the logistics industry can provide.
Benefits ERP for Logistics Industry
- Optimisation of Inventory: For any logistics business, inventory management is quite vital. Having ERP systems at their disposal, logistics, can help in viewing requests, orders, deliveries and sales from a centralised point of view. Using these tools to handle both inbound and outbound orders and also to see inventory that is out of stock can be achieved by logistics businesses with software intervention. Apart from this they can even speed up the time for dispatching orders.
- Maintenance Scheduling: When talking about infrastructure assets as well as a mode of transport for logistics, these are things that need timely maintenance. This means that their maintenance needs to be planned regularly as it can have a certain amount effect on the business. Using logistics ERP software offers has complete control of all these crucial processes.
- Creating a Seller/Buyer Portal: Most freight management systems today come with a buyer/seller portal, which offers you a secure login to your account, to be aware of the status of all the logistics, especially when you’re dealing with a bid. All the factors that are related to communicating this information, is integrated and updated by means of an SMS or an email.
- Improving Distribution Channels: ERP software for the logistics industry can also help in speeding up distribution times. Enabling freight forwarding companies to manage the distribution flow accurately, the software allows sellers, drivers, distributors as well as retailers to have access to information in real-time regarding factors like traffic, addresses of customers, etc.
- Tracking in Real-Time: Elaborating further upon the point mentioned above, when using different modes of transport, and the vehicles are in transit, real-time tracking is essential so that the customers can be updated regarding the status of the freight. For any sort of logistics business, real-time tracking helps in providing valuable business insights.
- Managing Your Staff: Logistics ERP software, comes quite handy, when you’re looking at stuff management. Ranging from the management of forecast, break times, etc., with the help of the software freight operators can manage all that, and for the higher management, the software can also provide information regarding the performance of their staff. Apart from these, additional security options such as payroll, attendance, data backups, etc. can also be made possible with the help of the software.
Apart from the aforementioned benefits, additional tools such as CRM for freight forwarders can really help in customer servicing, which as we all know is an important aspect for any business to be able to grow and thrive.
Having access to ERP tools has now become essential for businesses, in order to be able to streamline their inventory, make beneficial changes to their distribution processes and also manage their staff in a much better manner. The popularity of ERP applications can be assessed by the fact that the estimated value of the industry is about to hit $84 billion by the year 2021 as more and more industries, such as logistics are on their way of full implementation and integration of the technology.
If you want to know more about how freight forwarding software can make an impact on your business, reach out to us for a free demo and we will be happy to assist you.