There is no dispute in the fact that children need vitamins and minerals of all types. The question, however, is whether they need multivitamins or not. The answer is that healthy children usually do not need any multivitamin supplements because their food is the ideal source of all essential nutrients. If your child is consuming the right diet every day, you do not need to worry.
However, not all children have a good appetite for food; some might be fussy eaters. In that case, multivitamin offers great help to parents in ensuring that the nutritional demands are fulfilled. Otherwise, failing to do so can lead to either short-term or long-term nutritional deficiency. It is recommended that parents should consult with their doctors before giving their children any type of multivitamin.
What is a Multivitamin?
Multivitamins are supplements that contain a wide range of different vitamins and minerals. Multivitamins from credible companies are made in the form of herbal formulations.
Multivitamins come in many forms such as capsules, powders, liquids, chewable gummies, tablets, and more. An average adult needs to take about 13 vitamins and at least 16 minerals. In many cases, a multivitamin can help fill in the nutritional gaps in our diet.
When should I consider giving multivitamins to my children?
You need to speak to your paediatrician or your doctor under these circumstances:
Your child is intolerant to specific food types.
Your child is vegan.
Your child is inclined to delay physical development and mental growth.
Your child suffers from specific food allergies.
Your child lives with a chronic disease.
Your child overeats sugary products.
For infants and toddlers – they may need multivitamins or vitamin supplements. They need to be given Vitamin D supplements usually until the end of breastfeeding.
Which are the vitamins that are essential for my child?
Before deciding on a multivitamin, it is essential to understand the vitamins that a child needs.
- Vitamin A is one of the essential vitamins for children. It helps the growth and the development of children bones and tissues. It also repairs and strengthens their immune system. Vitamin A can be found in carrots, eggs, milk, and cheese.
- Vitamin B is a complex vitamin made up of different vitamins, including B2, B3, and B12. They help the maintenance of a healthy nervous and circulatory system. Vitamin B also facilitates energy production. Meat, eggs, chicken, nuts, milk, and fish are rich in Vitamin B.
- Vitamin C is another important nutrient for a child. Besides improving the health of the immune system, it keeps the muscles strong and the skin healthy. Your child needs to eat many citrus fruits, lemon, tomatoes, and green veggies for the body’s adequate requirement.
- Vitamin D is required by the bones and teeth of the child. The sun is the best source of vitamin D.
- Minerals like Calcium and Iron are other vital ingredients that your child needs. While Calcium helps strengthen the body’s bones, iron is a must for a healthy heart and the circulatory system. Calcium can be found in milk, eggs, dairy products, fortified juices, and breakfast cereals. Iron is found in spinach, beans, red meat, pork, and turkey.
The do’s and don’ts
- Always follow the dose prescribed by the doctor or as mentioned on the packaging of the label.
- Keep the multivitamin out of reach of children.
- Understand the importance of daily intake. Overdose can cause serious side-effects. Some of the common ailments are nausea, cramps, and headaches.
How to choose the right multivitamin for my child?
It is advisable to take advice from a medical specialist before starting a multivitamin and choosing an age-appropriate multivitamin. Also, ensure that the multivitamin does not offer the child more than 100% of the required vitamins or above the necessary daily value.
One of the best choices is to choose chewable gummies that are easy for the child to chew and consume for kids.
One of the most recommended supplements is the NuBest Tall Kids. A chewable tablet, the supplement is recommended for kids aged between two and nine years. It is a supplement that facilitates proper growth and height gain in children by fulfilling the gap in vitamins and minerals that the child’s diet may have. The easy-to-use tablets are made from a natural formulation that has been designed by US Medical doctors. Some of the nutrients that make up this product include Calcium, multiple minerals, and vitamins. As we all know, Calcium is a must for growing children, while Vitamin B helps in the development of a healthy brain.
You need to be intuitive and creative to ensure that your children have the right mix of vitamins and minerals in their daily diet. There is no use pushing them to eat a particular type of food, although you can explain to them the importance of a good diet for their development. Starting a multivitamin is a good idea to plug any small but critical nutritional gaps in your children’s diet. Finally, remember to check with your doctor before choosing one.