As you all know that, Centro Cultural Kirchner, located in the former Buenos Aires Central Post Office, was opened on May 21, 2015, and is the largest cultural center in Latin America. It was named after Nèstor Kirchner, Argentina’s former president, who oversaw its conversion from an abandoned post office of the 1900s to a cultural center in 2005. In 1997, it was designated as a National Historic Monument and by 2005, all postal handlings were completely shifted to a new location. In 2005, President Nèstor Kirchner proposed the conversion of the abandoned postal building and landmark to a cultural center, and two years after the construction started.
The time you can spend here
You can spend 2 to 3 hours at the cultural center; most people typically spend 45 mins.
- Sunday: 12.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- Monday: closed
- Tuesday: closed
- Wednesday: 12.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- Thursday: 12.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- Friday: 12.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- Saturday: 12.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- Timings may vary on special days.
Things You Must See
- Architectural designs
- Ballena Azul
- Klais Orgelbau
- Museo Mitre
- Basilica Nuestra Senora de la Merced
It is free to enter the Centro Cultural Kirchner in Bueno Aires. But Reciprocity fees may be charged to passport holders of certain countries.
How to reach
You can book your flight ticket through delta airlines official site to the nearest Buenos Aires Jorge Newbery (AEP) Airport from your city. One of the best and cheapest way to reach Buenos Aires, Argentina.
You can reach the center by boarding Line E and Line B underground. Metro rides are cheap and subtle cards cost only US$3 on which you can load US$4 to use it multiple times for 5 days.
From the Ezeiza Airport (EZE), you can board a bus that routes via Autopista Teniente General Pablo Ricchieri. From there, you can take another bus from Unanue that reaches 2022 Peron Eva Av. From Medalla Milagrosa station, trains are available every 10 -15 mins that reach Correo Central. Fares vary between US$3 to US$6 depending on your route.
By rental car
You can consider renting a car if you want to do sight-seeing around Centro Cultural Kirchner. The rental car price starts at US$30.
Tips for visitors
- Since events are free, it is advised to visitors that they reach early on time to get a good spot for themselves.
- Out of 9 floors, different floors are open to the public on various days depending on the number of events. It is recommended that you check on their website for special events.
- You are not allowed to take photos at the cathedral
- No such dress code is mentioned for visitors but it is advised to dress modestly before visiting the cultural center.
- On some days, tango lessons are given at the center, you may want to experience it if you are into tango.
- Visitors from all religions are allowed inside to see their events and exhibitions.
- Check out the spectacular architecture at the cultural center.
- There is a restaurant cum bar at the rooftop where special events take place sometimes; the food is good too.
- It is recommended to the visitors that they have a know-how of the history of the place before they visit.
Attraction Write Up
It contains one of the most intricate architectural and art decors, both from inside and outside. The major hall popularly called as La Ballena Azul has a capacity of seating 1950 people and is built as a blimp-shape that houses Klais Orgelbau, a pipe organ that can be controlled by a remote console.
Other prominent venues housed by this cultural center include Sala Federal for music, and La Cúpula, and Sala Argentina for live theater. As many as 12,000 visitors are witnessed each day to attend live theatres, exhibitions, events, and see the center. The center has been kept open for all, as per the belief of Argentina’s Culture Ministry that art belongs to everyone and culture is everyone’s right.
Apart from La Ballena Azul, the cultural center houses five auditoriums for theatre and concerts, 18 halls for poetry and performing arts (and other special events), and a total of 16 rehearsal spaces. Also, 15000 sq.m. of the area consists of art and history galleries that are housed on a total of six floors.
No matter, you were going on a family trip or a solo trip. The only couple of hours is enough to explore this beautiful place. Just start planning for your next trip and get your flight bookings through delta airlines official site to Buenos Aires, Argentina and get a chance to grab some amazing offers on every booking. Book now and visit this beautiful place to start exploring it.
- Category: Cultural center, Art, Live theatre, culture.
- Address: Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Postal Code:C1043AAN